Busy As A (wartime) Beaver

Home/History, World War I/Busy As A (wartime) Beaver

Busy As A (wartime) Beaver

Not much to add here, just something my Canadian friends might enjoy.  It couldn’t be more opposite from the many dark,  fear inducing images of other propaganda posters of the time.

April 20th, 2012|Categories: History, World War I|Tags: , , |6 Comments

6 Comments

1. Skinner April 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM - Reply

As this poster demonstrates, the pulp and paper industry, here in Canada, has never been a kind one.

My grandparents still tell horror stories of The Great Gnawing of 1918.

2. Jim April 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM - Reply

Well, what did they expect? Making those poor critters work through the night like that.

My Canadian history is fuzzy, but didn’t The Great Gnawing of 1918 (I’d love to hear that story by the way) eventually lead to the Beaver Emancipation of 1920?

3. bmj2k April 22, 2012 at 3:57 AM - Reply

What is with those Canadians? Even their beavers look sinister. I say that beaver is planning some revenge for the French-Canadian fur trade of some centuries ago. Somewhere, in some snow covered hunting lodge, that beaver’s great-grandfather’s pelt hangs above a roaring fire and he knows it. The revenge has just begun.

4. Jim April 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM - Reply

Could the revenge have started back in 1918? Can we trust an animal that has to chew because its teeth never stop growing?

Are blood-crazed beaver attacks the reason behind the stories of a single foot washing up onshore?

You may be on to something here. And it’s big. Canada big.

• Skinner April 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM - Reply

Beavers’ teeth aren’t the only thing that never stops growing: Their ambition also knows no bounds.

I’ve already said too much, however, and I’ve got to be careful. Remember the wood-chipper from Fargo? Yeah, that, but with beavers.

• Jim April 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM - Reply

Shh! Better hope those gerbils didn’t hear that. Everyone knows they’re in league with their bigger brothers.